Plastics recycling is an excellent but underutilized solution for recovering plastics in the U.S. today. These valuable materials end up in landfills at a far higher rate than most people might imagine. Consider these facts about plastics recycling:
- In 2012, only 9% of the total plastic waste generated in the U.S. was recovered for recycling.
- The U.S. generated 32 million tons of plastic waste, representing 12.7% of the country’s municipal solid waste (MSW) in 2012.
- Of the 32 million tons of plastic waste generated in 2012, 14 million tons were containers and packaging, 11 million tons were durable goods, such as appliances, and 7 million tons were nondurable goods, such as plastic plates, cups, straws, cutlery, etc.
- Just 12% of the category of plastics that includes bags, sacks, and plastic wraps was recycled in 2012.
Polychem is proud to be part of the solution by breathing new life into plastics and ensuring that these valuable materials are utilized to their fullest. Polychem’s recycling services and solutions are ideal for plastics manufacturers worldwide. We specialize in HDPE recycling and polypropylene recycling, in addition to the recycling of many other types of plastic materials. We appreciate and welcome all inquiries.
We Make It Easy
- Call us toll free at 800-832-2727 or email now.
- A Polychem recycling specialist will immediately analyze your company’s surplus problem and recommend a solution built for your specific needs and requirements.
- Our computerized sourcing capabilities allow us to respond to any situation within a few hours.
Why We Can
As one of the very first recycling companies in the United States, Polychem brings an unimpeachable amount of experience and savvy to our industry. We know the business inside and out.
We take immense pride in working quickly and aggressively for our customers. Our pricing will always be competitive because we can rely on our vast store of worldwide cost data and current knowledge of the domestic and global situation.
We encourage both domestic and international calls and look forward to meeting whatever challenges you may have.
Please note that we do prefer to deal in truckload quantities. However, Polychem will always make special arrangements to serve our customers.
The Process of Plastic Waste Recycling
Plastics are sorted according to their resin type before recycling. In the past, this was done by hand; today, automatic sort systems utilizing near infrared (NIR) and other technologies are used to identify the resin type.
Once sorted, the plastics are shredded and the shredded fragments are processed to remove impurities. The material is then melted down and formed into pellets, which can then be used in the manufacturing of other products.