What’s in this week’s issue | May 8, 2023
This week we have our 2023 recyclers and brokers issue, where we share rankings of the top recyclers and explore the current state of that facet of the industry. Look for more stories from the recycling report throughout the week.
Free livestream: Join us May 17 at 10 a.m. for a free livestream dedicated to bioplastics. Learn more and register here.
Elsewhere in sustainability news, the Environmental Protection Agency released its draft of a national plastics strategy. On Friday, the EPA also struck down a proposal to limit polyvinyl alcohol in laundry and dishwashing pods. Additionally, the Biden administration has offered up some more insight into its plastics strategies.In this issue:
- Plastics executives visited Washington in April to lobby for research and development tax breaks.
- DuPont buys Spectrum Plastics Group for $1.75 billion in a deal that includes a multiple of 15.6 times the company’s 2023 forecast EBITDA.
- Resin prices — particularly PP, PS and nylon — fell in April.
- Pfizer Inc. purchased a bankrupt COVID-19 test manufacturer, Lucira Health.
- Uponor has rejected an offer from Aliaxis SA of Brussels to buy the company and add it to plastic pipe manufacturing operations.
- How to advertise and label plastic made from chemical recycling is shaping up to be an early flashpoint in the Federal Trade Commission’s Green Guides.